Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Australia: Arrival

Another two days in one, once again a flight to blame for that. Woke up early in the morning and instead of indulging on the breakfast in the cramped up room once again, I finished my packing and set of towards the station after checking out of the hotel. Took a full underground to the Airport Terminal 3 and got to the check in relatively fast. At the check in a problem occurred. The UAE would not let me fly to Australia without getting an ETA before, conveniently costing 200 Dirham (once again about 50€). I had to purchase one from there so I would have the authority to come to Australia, even if I did already have a working holiday visa. After getting that sorted out (and carrying my luggage around the terminal) I got through security without a problem again and carried on to check in. Australia seems to take control regulation of organic components to a new level. After sitting down for a while we got taken through another check where our bags where searched for anything suspicious and after that we where allowed to board the plane. I got a short burst of free internet from somewhere and updated myself on things before getting my seat on the plane. I unfortunately did not get an emergency exit seat again, as they had been completely booked out. I was at the window, an elderly (complaining a bit about her back) lady next to me and a taller woman on the inside row. The elderly lady eventually got a seat by the gangway, as she had to because of her back, so the tall woman and me ended up sharing a row of three. All in all the complete flight was rather comfortable. I watched a few film, read some of my book, tried (and failed) to sleep a bit and ate some ok food. Little portions to drink meant I was parched after a good twelve hours. I had a kid in front of me which slept most of the time anyway and when she was awake she wasn't crying at all, but enjoying the flight.
We landed in Sydney to a red sunrise and a rainbow over the city. Getting out of customs was a bit complicated, but thanks to the attitude of the Australian boarder control (“You alrigh, mate?”) I got through with some chocolate for Iain and family. I waited a while for Iain to appear and he turned up eventually because he recognised me. We walked back to the car and after a bit of a ticket hassle got going out in to Sydney proper. The air was rather hot and humid, bit the sun only came out partially and there where specks of rain here and there. We went to Botany Bay National Park and had a walk around while we waited for the cafe to open so I could have something to drink and Iain could have some breakfast. We returned after looking at the historical places where Captain Cook landed in Australia to find the place still closed. We talked to the National Park rangers, one of them being the first Aborigine I met and talked to them about snakes and Kookaburras.

Had something to drink and eat at a cafe a bit further and Iain then drove me to Bonday Beach where we had a walk along. After that some fish with scrambled egg and a cup of tea. Walked back to the car and Iain drove me through down town Sydney, looking at the Opera house and the Sydney harbour bridge. After that to his house which has a step drive lane to the building. After a while Angus joined us and after we had had showers we looked at some pictures and Iain made some dinner. It was hard staying awake by then, so I went for a quick nap before waking up at eight for some dinner. Leanne had arrived in that time and we had a chat while and after eating dinner.
I am now laying in bed hearing unfamiliar sounds from outside and paranoid about spiders.

But, finally in Australia. :D

4 comments:

  1. Good on ya sport, for makin' eet all the way down under! :D You take that photo of the rocks by the sea? - love it! :) Hope you get a good sleep and don't worry about the spiders! Take care and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, photot from me. Taken near to the entrance of Botany Bay.

      Delete
  2. Well done Max, glad you made it to Oz safely. It was lovely seeing Sydney Opera house and the harbour bridge, have a brilliant time, you probably won't even see one spider. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already seen two, but not the poisonous type. ;)

      Delete