Monday, December 29, 2014

Snowy Christmas Holidays Day 1

Whew, what a day. Dad had to be saved by the mountain rescue yesterday, as he got stuck in some really deep snow. His full explanation here (141228 Riedberger Horn). I heard about it yesterday evening and after ensuring he was ok and finding out he needed to go back up the next day, offered my help. Wanted to get some fun out of it, too. How many times do you get the chance to walk up the mountain, early in the morning before everybody else with a mountain rescue guide to help.
Dad picked me up at quarter to six this morning and we set of to pick up Klaus, our guide. Got him on the way in Oberstdorg and carried on towards the Riedberger Horn up a pass that you normally have to have snow chains on. As the company has a lot of business to do up there, they are classified as locals who don’t need it, as long as they have 4x4 cars. Reached the bottom of the lift, got all geared up with snow shoes that we had borrowed for this occasion and after a hot chocolate got driven up as near as possible to the top as Tom could get us with his quad. Klaus got taken up first, then me and Dad in the rear. Klaus up front so he could lay the track, as we where the first ones up, then me to harden it and Dad at the end as he was still knackered from the day before. He showed us the trench he got caught in and his touring skies are still in there somewhere, will stay there till spring probably. We reached the top after watching the sun rise on untouched powder snow, to find a biting wind and -15°C air temperature. We didn't stay up there long and picked up the generator Dad had left up there the day before. Reached the mast after another 500 metres and got warmed up in the shade of some frozen trees before getting the generator up and running.
Took a few attempts but we got it running and plugged in to the mast so it could load up the battery’s. Had some tee and cake to celebrate and then went back again. Back up at the Riedberger Horn Tom gave Dad a ring saying that the mast wasn't receiving any electricity. Brilliant, turn back around and after a few attempts got it running properly again. The weather was turning more grey and windy by then, the herald of the big snow storm the weather forecast had predicted for the afternoon. Sprinted back on two broken snow shoes (Dads right and my left), which had occurred somewhere on the way. We got back to the piste and as Klaus had had touring skies and was down a lot faster, he was waiting at the end with the mountain rescue skidoo. Took us both down and after getting everything packed up and the conformation that the mast was charged, took Klaus to Kempten so he could catch the train home.
After a hurried lunch I was rushed back to Nesselwang to get a picture taken so I could apply for an international driving licence in Marktoberdorf for my planned Australia trip. Drove to Marktoberdorf with Johanna, got that settled and on the way back where caught in the middle of predicted snow storm. Proofed interesting, as Johanna has no 4x4 and we where nearly flattened by a truck going uphill near Rückholz.
Reached home, got changed quickly and Johanna drove me near the ski lift where the ski teachers where training for the upcoming New Year demonstration. Skied my part and then went home for some rest before tomorrow.
Dads blog of this day can be found here and more pictures at Picasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment